LtCol. Charles O. Jones

(C. Olshavsky)

LtCol. Charles O. Jones

338th FS - 12 September 1942 - 08 March 1944
HdQts - 08 March 1944 - 30 January 1945

Assigned Aircraft

Not Known

Mission History

Not Known

Mission List

55th FG  Mission #

Date Target
09 03 November 1943 Wilhelmshaven (Squadron Leader)
11 07 November 1943 Sweep - Ostend - St. Omer area (Yellow Leader)
15 13 November 1943 Bremen (Yellow Leader)
18 29 November 1943 Bremen (Returned early at 1425 with left engine out and right engine rough)
19 30 November 1943 Solingen (Returned early with Radio failure)
23 13 December 1943 Kiel (Squadron Leader -White 1)
29 31 December 1943 Bordeaux (Squadron Leader)
31 05 January 1944 Kiel (White Leader)
32 07 January 1944 Ludwigshafen (Squadron Leader)
35 21 January 1944 Area Patrol – Lille/Belgium (Squadron Leader)
38 30 January 1944 Brunswick/Hannover (Squadron Leader)
40 03 February 1944 Wilhelmshaven (Squadron Leader)
42 05 February 1944 Châteauroux La Martinerie Airdrome (Squadron Leader)


10 February 1944 Brunswick (assumed Group Leader)
51 24 February 1944 Gotha (Squadron Leader)
52 25 February 1944 Augsburg (Squadron Leader)
55 02 March 1944 Sweep - Tours and Angers (Squadron Leader)
57 04 March 1944 Berlin (Squadron Leader)
58 06 March 1944 Berlin (Squadron Leader)
62 16 March 1944 Friedrichshafen (Squadron Leader)
63 18 March 1944 Friedrichshafen (Squadron Leader)
65 23 March 1944 Brunswick (Squadron Leader)
273 20 November 1944 Malmedy
Air Scores

1-0-1 338FS

Ground Scores
Score Detail 13 December 1943  Me-109 damaged (air) N/Oldenburg
05 January 1944  Me-109 destroyed (air) Neumunster
Notes Born in Spokane, Washington, 17 March 1917.
Entered service from Portland, Oregon.
ASN - O-427138
12 September 1942 - Transferred from the 37th Fighter Squadron to the 338th Fighter Squadron
20 November 1943 - Awarded the Air Medal
20 December 1943 - Awarded an Oak Leaf Cluster to the Air Medal
05 February 1944 - Awarded an Oak Leaf Cluster to the Air Medal
10 February 1944 - Assumed position of Group Leader on mission, after LtCol. Jenkins returned early.
07 March 1944 - Awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross
08 March 1944 - Temporary Attachment to the Headquarters, 55th Fighter Group
08 March 1944 - Relieved as 338th FS Operations Officer
29 June 1944 - Awarded an Oak Leaf Cluster to the Distinguished Flying Cross
10 October 1944 - Promoted to Lieutenant Colonel
11 November 1944 - Assigned Deputy Group Commander

Downed on 20 November 1944.
Lt.Col. Jones was the Deputy Group Commander and was leading the Group. He tells his story:

We had been strafing trains and I had just destroyed a gun emplacement when I heard a "plunk" that told me the plane was hit some where. Smoke started coming out the exhaust stacks, one and then another bearing burned out and started knocking, and smoke was filling the cockpit so badly I could hardly see the instruments. I had turned south toward friendly territory in France. Soon the engine lost power and I had to lower the nose and glide to maintain flying speed. Using my oxygen mask kept me from breathing the smoke, but I still couldn't read the instruments to make sure I was going south.
I pulled the canopy release lever and with the canopy gone the smoke cleared. The altimeter passed through 1500 feet and there was no suitable field to crash land. I rolled the plane over on its back, dropped out, and pulled the ripcord --the chute opened instantly. On the second swing of the chute my back thudded into the ground violently. Golly, but that hurt! For a minute I just laid there dazed, thinking I was paralyzed. It took all my strength and determination to roll over, get up to hands and knees, and pull in the chute so I could hide.
I heard voices that turned out to be a group of children. I approached them and they all smiled and their queries established me as an American. They took me to a farm house nearby and I met the lady of the house. They kept me for four days. On the fourth day a man rode up on a bicycle who could speak a little English. It was at this time I determined that I was between the German and Allied lines. He told me that tomorrow a man would come and lead me to the Allied lines.

The next morning a man riding a bicycle and precariously holding the handle bars of another arrived. After many good-byes and merci beaucoup the man and I peddled off down the road. We hadn't gone very far when we met a tank coming our way. It didn't take any genius to recognize it as Canadian, as it had a large maple leaf painted on its front. A Lt. Allen came out of the hatch when I motioned them to stop. After a few pointed questions he accepted me as an American and I stayed with his unit that night. The next day they provided me with a jeep and a driver and we went to Ghent, Belgium. After a night on the town I was flown back to England on an English courier plane.
Reproduced with kind permission of Mr. Robert M. Littlefield from the author's book Double Nickel - Double Trouble

30 January 1945 - Ended Tour of Duty

Additional Photographs LtCol. Charles O. Jones and 338th FS ground crew (F. Birtciel)

LtCol. Charles O. Jones (Robert M. Littlefield)

Post war shot of LtCol. Jones serving in the USAF (R. Abbey)

(Nb. Photos open in new window.  Close new window to return to this page.)

Back to Headquarters Pilots

Back to 338th Fighter Squadron Pilots