1/Lt. Noah Ray Tipton

(Robert M. Littlefield)

1/Lt. Noah Ray Tipton

38th FS - 06 December 1943 - 21 May 1944 (Prisoner of War)

Assigned Aircraft

P-38J CG-X 42-67971 "Noah's Ark"

Mission History

Not Known

Mission List
55th FG Mission # Date Target
33 11 January 1944 Brunswick (White 2)
51 24 February 1944 Gotha (Blue 4)
52 25 February 1944 Augsburg
Air Scores
Ground Scores
Score Detail 25 February 1944  Me-410 damaged (air) Augsburg
12 May 1944  FW-190 destroyed (air) Wiesbaden
21 May 1944  (.5)u/i a/c destroyed (ground) E/Helmstedt
21 May 1944  (.5)u/i a/c destroyed (ground) E/Helmstedt

Born in Calderwood, Tennessee, 29th September 1920
Home of Record - Maryville, TN
ASN - O-750725
06 December 1943 - Joined the 38th Fighter Squadron
February 1944 - Awarded the Air Medal
March 1944 - Awarded an Oak Leaf Cluster to the Air Medal
March 1944 - Awarded 2nd Oak Leaf Cluster to the Air Medal
23 March 1944 - Promoted from 2nd Lieutenant to 1st Lieutenant
21 May 1944 - Prisoner of War
MACR No. 04978
Shot down by ground fire in P-38J 42-68076.

Ray Tipton tells his story: We were on a locomotive busting mission to Germany.  Capt. John Landers was heading the flight and I was leading his element.  We had just let down through the overcast, near Berlin, when I spotted and called in 19 Heinkel 111 twin engined bombers lined up on a field.  We got every one but ground fire got my right engine.  I feathered the engine, my coolant system had been hit and I lost all my glycol.  The flight stayed together and we started out on the deck strafing on the way.  When we were near the North Sea my left engine caught fire.  I don't know if ground fire got me or what but I unfeathered the right engine and feathered the left.  In a moment the right engine caught fire so now I had both engines on fire.  I noticed a small canal and landed in the canal.  I think that kept it from blowing up.   The water started coming into the cockpit and I got out and walked along the wing to land and sat down and lit a cigarette.  Landers and the rest of the flight circled, saw I was alright and headed on home.  I didn't get a scratch.  I was watching part of my plane burn when a very old man, in uniform, with a rifle, came up in a boat and took me down the canal to a house.

After about a half a day a staff car came by and picked me up and I was taken to Hamburg and thrown into solitary.  I knew that other Americans had been there because they had written all over the wall.  I spent 2 days there and then placed on a train with 2 guards to Oberursel near Frankfurt am Main and I was put in solitary again.  During my first interrogation I was asked to fill in a form which asked the fire power of a P-38 and how much gas it carried, who was my CO and a lot of stuff like that.  I filled my name, rank, and serial number and gave it back to him.  The interrogator said that this is just like a hotel, if you don't register you don't get fed.  For nineteen days I got a little tea and a little bread.  The interrogator had been bombed out in North Africa and bombed out in Frankfurt.  Needless to say he was a little unhappy with me.  After that I was sent to a large compound (Dulag Luft), and from there I was sent to Stalag Luft III.

I spent the rest of my time at Stalag Luft III at Sagan until January 25th of 1945, when we were made to march, in the middle of a snow storm, to a train, which was damn tough and miserable, and taken to a prison camp near Nuremburg because the Russians were approaching Sagan.  We were at Nuremburg (Stalag XIII D) for a while and then made to march to Moosburg where we were liberated by Patton's army.  I was flown in a C-47 from Moosburg to Camp Lucky Strike in France and then home by boat.

Reproduced with kind permission of Mr. Robert M. Littlefield from the author's book Double Nickel - Double Trouble

23 July 2003 - Passed away in Richmond, VA


Back to 38th Fighter Squadron Pilots