2/Lt. Robert S. Thompson

(Robert M. Littlefield)

2/Lt. Robert S. Thompson

38th FS - 19 November 1943 - 24 January 1944 (Prisoner of War)

Assigned Aircraft

P-38J CG-K 42-67520

Mission History

Not Known

Mission List
55th FG Mission # Date Target
31 05 January 1944 Kiel
36 24 January 1944 Frankfurt
Air Scores
Ground Scores
Score Detail 05 January 1944  Me-109 damaged (air) SW Kiel

Entered service from Pardeville, Wisconsin
ASN - O-749115
19 November 1943 - Joined the 38th Fighter Squadron
24 January 1944 - Prisoner of War
MACR No. 02111

2/Lt. John S. Murray, 343rd Ftr. Sqdn., reported:  "On 24 January 1944, while flying a bomber escort mission, Lt. Robert S. Thompson, flying CG-K, Swindle 61, joined Whiteman Red Flight as number four on way to target and flew mission as number four to a position approximately 10 miles northeast of Antwerp, at 17,000 feet.  We passed beneath a thin layer of clouds, and a single FW-190 made an attack on our flight from these clouds.  He fired a passing burst which I believe struck Lt. Thompson's right engine.  At this time I was engaged with 3 E/A and at first opportunity looked for CG-K.  I observed a P-38 complete a loop, rolling out 90 degrees from the way he went into it, apparently under control.  Due to light cloud formations smoke was not observed at this time.  I did another 360 to clear myself and found another P-38 on single engine.  I started to weave over this P-38 and did not see Lt. Thompson again.

My position was Whiteman Red 2.  Last seen, Lt. Thompson was headed in an easterly direction at about 8,000 feet.  Due to the strength required to regain control of the airplane from its position, I do not believe that Lt. Thompson was wounded."

Reproduced with kind permission of Mr. Robert M. Littlefield from the author's book Double Nickel - Double Trouble

Lt. Thompson was shot down over Stekene by Feldwebel Gerd Wiegand, 4.Staffel,
Jagdgeschwader 26. He bailed out north of Antwerp, Belgium, and was imprisoned in Stalag Luft I.

On 24th January 1944, at 16.50 hrs, Oberleutnant Walter of the Oberfeldkommandatur 570 Ghent reported to the Kommandostab 1a : "12.08 hrs. Lightning shot down over Stekene ( NW Sint-Niklaas). 1 pilot taken prisoner, search continues." Guy De Brant

Memories Feldwebel Gerd Wiegand's notebook reads: "The story is very short, I started together with 3 FW's at 12.00 hours from our base at Florennes. My plan was to attack the returning bombers. But the fuel tank of my wingman, Oberleutnant Neu, was malfunctioning, so I changed plans and climbed to 8500 meter to attack the returning enemy fighters. We flew over the Schelde river, as I suddenly spotted four Lightnings below us. Three others joined them, and then another one. I attacked immediately and opened fire. The Lightning was burning, and went into a spin. I don't know what happened after that, because I had to pay attention to seven other Lightnings." Guy De Brant

Back to 38th Fighter Squadron Pilots