2/Lt. Leroy V. Hokinson Jr.

(Robert M. Littlefield)

2/Lt. Leroy V. Hokinson Jr.

38th FS - 06 December 1943 - 31 January 1944 (Evaded)

Assigned Aircraft

P-38J 42-67813

Mission History

6 missions

Mission List
55th FG Mission # Date Target
32 07 January 1944 Ludwigshaven (Red 2)
33 11 January 1944 Brunswick (Spare) (returned early due to engine trouble)
34 14 January 1944 St Poi (Purple 2)
36 24 January 1944 Frankfurt (Red 2)
38 30 January 1944 Brunswick (Spare) (returned early at 1302)
39 31 January 1944 Sweeps in the Eindhoven/Venlo/Arnhem area (White 4)
Air Scores
Ground Scores
Score Detail 31 January 1944  (2)FW-190 destroyed (air) Eindhoven
Notes Born in East Moline, Illinois, 27 August 1921.
Known as 'Hok'
ASN - O-750593
06 December 1943 - Joined the 38th Fighter Squadron
31 January 1944 - Missing in Action
MACR No. 02107
2/Lt. Leroy V. Hokinson was downed by enemy fighters in the Venlo, Holland area and evaded capture.  He later said that he saw Lt. Leve crash.  He returned to duty 14 September 1944, after over seven months as an evader.  All evaders were interrogated after their return to friendly territory and given a number.  Hokinson's was 01938.
During his interrogation Hokinson said:  "I was shot down in Holland near Stiphout about 1600 hrs, 31 Jan 1944, after a fight with 7 FW 190s.  I bailed out at about 2,000 feet. Immediately, I was helped by some members of the organization who were waiting on the ground.  I was hidden in a house until that night, and then taken to a nearby woods where I stayed in hiding for two weeks with some other men.  I stayed in Holland for about two and a half months in a village named Hurn.  I crossed the frontier into Belgium on the ninth of April with a smuggler. I was stopped by police near Hoesalt, Belgium and lost the organization.  I contacted a member of the White Army near Hoesalt and was hidden for a month.  I travelled to Liege by truck and was hidden in and around Liege for about three weeks.  Four other airmen and myself drove down to the Ardennes from Liege to a camp of Luxembourg deserters from the German army.  They would not help us go further and actually held us prisoner when we tried to leave on our own.  We were detained for nine weeks until some Germans came into the woods and we were able to leave.  We met a priest in Houmont, Belgium who helped us contact the organization again.  We were taken to a camp of airmen near Jaisson, Belgium and finally to another camp of airmen north of Bertaix where we were found by advanced patrols of our army."
Reproduced with kind permission of Mr. Robert M. Littlefield from the author's book Double Nickel - Double Trouble.

17 August 2005 - Passed away in Helendale, CA

Additional Photograph Lt. Hokinson at Williams Field in 1943 (55th FGA Newsletter)

Nb. Photo opens in a new window.  Close window to return to this page.

Back to 38th Fighter Squadron Pilots