2/Lt. David G. Elliott

(55th FGA)

2/Lt. David G. Elliott

38th FS - 17 May 1944 - 10 August 1944 (Evader)

Assigned Aircraft

P-51D CG-K 44-13623 "Skipper" (F. Birtciel)

Mission History

Not Known

Mission List

Not Known

Air Scores
Ground Scores
Notes Born in San Francisco, California, 11th January 1922
ASN - O-758017
17 May 1944 - Joined the 38th Fighter Squadron
10 August 1944 - Missing in Action
MACR No. 17768

Major Albert E. Parsons reported: "At approximately 1815 hours on 10 August 1944, while on a fighter bomber mission, and while making strafing runs at a locomotive and several freight cars in the vicinity of Sommesous, France, Lt. David G. Elliott, being slightly ahead and inside of me on a turn, swung in towards the train from approximately 5 o'clock to the train.  I pulled over to about 4 o'clock and followed him.  Just as he passed over the tail end of the train, the last car exploded throwing fire and debris up to above 50 feet.  Lt. Elliott's airplane passed directly through the top part of the blast and pulled up rather steeply in a climbing turn to the right. 

I cut across immediately to join him and see if his airplane was damaged, and observed that the underside of his airplane was damaged and crushed from just aft of the wing all the way back to the tail assembly and that the elevator was broken partially off and hanging on at an angle.  What appeared to be coolant was streaming out of the crumbed coolant shutter and a small fire was noticeable around the tail wheel door.  I called Lt. Elliot and told him that he might have to leave the airplane.  I was close enough to see him in the cockpit, and observed that he was sitting straight in the seat, apparently in a dazed condition. 

Less than a minute later the engine began to smoke badly and Lt. Elliott jettisoned the canopy.  Fire was coming out of both the tail assembly and the engine.  The airplane was in a normal attitude as Lt. Elliott left it.  The plane then went into a dive and exploded on contact with the ground.  Lt. Elliott opened his chute about 800 to 1,000 feet above the ground, landing in a thickly wooded area.  The canopy spread over the tops of several trees.  I was unable to observe if Lt. Elliott was OK after landing due to the woods and canopy of the parachute."

Lt. Elliott walked out of enemy territory and was flown from Bayeaux Airstrip in France back to England, 31 August.  He said that he had skip bombed the train.  Actually what happened was that his bomb had an instant fuse which resulted in him blowing himself up!

Reproduced with kind permission of Mr. Robert M. Littlefield from the author's book Double Nickel - Double Trouble

02 September 1944 - Reassigned to the 38th Fighter Squadron

Memories David Elliott wrote the following interrogation report in London.  Reproduced with kind permission of Mr. Robert M. Littlefield from the author's book Double Nickel - Double Trouble

Back to 38th Fighter Squadron Pilots