1/Lt. Dudley M. Amoss

(Robert M. Littlefield)

1/Lt. Dudley M. Amoss

38th FS - 17 August 1944 - 21 March 1945 (Prisoner of War)

Assigned Aircraft

P-51D CG-B 44-13818 "Mah Ideel" (F. Birtciel)

Mission History

59 missions

Known Mission List
55th FG  Mission # Date Target
224 01 September 1944 Frankfurt (Red 2)
227 08 September 1944 Mainz (Yellow 2)
228 09 September 1944 Dusseldorf (flew as spare)
229 10 September 1944 Nurnburg (Red 2)
232 12 September 1944 Leipzig (Yellow 4) Expended 500 rounds of ammunition.
Air Scores
Ground Scores
Score Detail 12 September 1944  u/i a/c destroyed (ground) Herzogenaurach
12 September 1944  (0.5) Ju-52 destroyed (ground) Herzogenaurach
03 February 1945  (1.5) FW-58 destroyed (air) Templin A/F
15 February 1945  Me-262 destroyed (air) Amberg
21 March 1945  (3) FW-190 destroyed (air) SW Munster
Notes Born in Baltimore, Maryland, 07 July 1922.
17 November 1943 - Enlisted in Maryland
Army Serial Number at Enlistment - 10601549
Home of Record - Greenwich, CT
ASN - T-223169 & O-1997644
17 August 1944 - Joined the 38th Fighter Squadron
28 November 1944 - Promoted from Flight Officer to 2nd Lieutenant
08 March 1945 - Promoted from 2nd Lieutenant to 1st Lieutenant
21 March 1945 - Prisoner of War
MACR No. 13226
Downed in P-51D 44-15123.

2/Lt. John W. Cunnick, III, reported: "On 21 March 1945 I was flying Blue # 3 position in Hellcat squadron. At 1050 hours we made a pass on the Hopsten Airdrome, dropping fragmentation bombs. After we had made our pass we circled and came in from the northeast for a strafing pass. Lt. Amoss called over the radio stating that he had been hit and was heading for friendly territory, namely Belgium, and was taking a heading of 240 degrees. He stated that he thought that he would be able to make it to friendly lines. He was separated from the squadron at this time and no one was able to locate him to accompany him towards home. He was instructed by the controller to switch to "D" channel to get a steer and this was the last contact we had with him."

Lt. "Dixie" Amoss tells his story: I was hit by flak while strafing and crash landed about 25 miles northeast of Arnhem, Holland, in the direction of Lingen, Germany. I had been wounded in my right arm.
A group of German civilians gathered as I got out of my plane and I went for my 45 automatic because they were making threatening gestures. Luckily for me, (and a few Germans), an armed Luftwaffe officer arrived and took charge. I threw up my hands and he took my gun.

I was taken to Hamburg, Germany, where I was placed in solitary confinement for about 2 weeks and interrogated every couple of days. After that I was then sent to Stalag Luft I, near Barth.
While at Stalag Luft I, I ran into Jack Coonan. He told me that his wingman had shot him down. I had to level with him and tell him that it was me who shot him down! I explained that I saw what appeared to be a lone Me109 flying low on the deck, heading into Germany. It was a long, long, shot. I gave him a lot of lead and fired. He crash landed. Much to my horror, as I passed over him, I recognized the plane as a P-51. Jack didn't get angry. He just grimaced and shook his head.

The first group of Russians to arrive appeared to be Mongolians on horseback. They were killing and plundering so I decided to stay in the prison camp until American B-17s arrived to take us to France and liberation."

Lt. Amoss had prior service as a pilot in the RAF and is one of the 55th F.G. Aces.
Reproduced with kind permission of Mr. Robert M. Littlefield from the author's book Double Nickel - Double Trouble.

Back to 38th Fighter Squadron Pilots