2/Lt. Albert A. Albino


2/Lt. Albert A. Albino

38th FS - 07 May 1943 - 29th November 1943 (Killed in Action)

Assigned Aircraft

P-38H 42-67051 "Spirit of Aberdeen" (Robert M. Littlefield)

Mission History

8 missions

Mission List
55th FG Mission # Date Target
03 17 October 1943 Sweep-Northern France (Spare - Filled in for Capt. Myers)
05 19 October 1943 Sweep-Amiens Area (Blue 2)
08 24 October 1943 St. Andre L'Eure (Blue 2)
n/a 30 October 1943 Group recalled (Spare)
11 07 November 1943 Sweep in Ostend-St. Omer area (Blue 2)
12 07 November 1943 Sweep in Lille area (Blue 2)
13 10 November 1943 Montdidier Airdrome (Spotter - Returned at 1500)
14 11 November 1943 Munster (Red 4)
18 29 November 1943 Bremen (Yellow 4)
Air Scores
Ground Scores
Notes Born in 1919
Native of Utah
17 March 1942 - Enlisted in Los Angeles, CA
Army Serial No. at enlistment - 19081219
Home of Record - Aberdeen, Washington
ASN - O-743300
07 May 1943 - Joined the 38th Fighter Squadron
29 November 1943 - Killed in Action
MACR No. 01428

Captain Thomas Beaird, from 55th Ftr. Grp. Headquarters and flying with the 38th Ftr. Sqdn., made the following report: "Our flight was slightly trailing the other 3 flights going to the rendezvous. Our flight leader had to fall out and called to me to take over. I acknowledged and called the flight to step up the mercury as I was going to catch up. At the time, Lt. Albino was second in the flight, approximately three ship lengths behind us and approximately four ship lengths in front of Lt. Peters. We were in the same relative position when someone called, 'Bogies coming down at three o'clock, get rid of your tanks.' I turned to the right, dropped my tanks and looked to see if Lt. Albino and Peters had gotten rid of theirs. This was the last time I was able to locate Lt. Peters or Albino as almost immediately we were bounced from approximately 8 o'clock, and the lead flights from, I think, about 1 o'clock.

"After we tangled there seemed to be nothing but individual ships that joined up to make flights as best they could."

2/Lt. Edward Peters reported: "I was flying number two position in a flight lead by Captain Hancock. Capt. Hancock started a turn to the right, leaving because of engine trouble, and as we were deep in enemy territory I started with him, however, he called and said I should turn back to accompany the group. I started to return but by this time I had fallen way back out of formation and as I increased manifold pressure my left engine cut out at 24 inches of mercury. I continued trying to catch up and ahead of me about one half mile was Lt. Albino and ahead of him was Capt. Beaird. I and Lt. Albino were quite a distance behind Capt. Beaird and I followed for about four or five minutes. At this time the group was bounced and the order given to drop "babies". I looked behind and saw one E/ A diving at me from about 7 o'clock. I broke into him and he fired at me as he passed over top. I looked for the group but as I could only see their contrails, and due to the faulty engine, I turned and came back alone. It is possible that the E/ A which attacked me or the six below could have continued on their way and caught Lt. Albino as he was straggling."

Lt. Albino was killed by enemy fighters and crashed into the marshalling yard of Hoogeveen, Holland. His name is on the Wall of the Missing, Cambridge American Military Cemetery and Memorial, Coton, England. In February 1979 Lt. Albino's remains were discovered during an excavation project of the Hoogeveen Marshalling Yard and his final resting place is now Mount Calvary Cemetery, Portland, Oregon.
Reproduced with kind permission of Mr. Robert M. Littlefield from the author's book Double Nickel - Double Trouble


I have very fond memories of this most likeable young man. I think every­one liked him, and I know he was a special favorite of the enlisted men. He had a sunny, effervescent personality, and always had something going.
At one of our bases, perhaps Pendleton, OR, or Carys Kilmer, N.J., it was spread around that he was going to harangue the troops a la Adolph Hitler.  We all assembled on the grass at one end of the barracks, and at the dramatic moment he stalked out onto the little second-story balcony, with hair slicked down as Hitler's was, and one hand holding a black comb with just enough showing to pass for Hitler's mustache. For quite a long time he capered and strutted, raged and sputtered gutteral, almost understandable German. He had us almost hysterical.
It was a wonderful performance, and a great morale booster for a bunch of guys about to cross the ocean to an uncertain future. We were lucky, but he was not. He was lost on that sad day that C.O. Major Joel and three others (including Albino) were lost.
But it was easy to remember the always-smiling face of Albert Albino, and I was sorry he was gone.
(Robert Sands via 55th FG Newsletter)


Back to 38th Fighter Squadron Pilots