Capt. Robert L. Buttke

(F. Birtciel)

Capt. Robert L. Buttke

343rd FS - 15 March 1943 - April 1945

Assigned Aircraft

P-38H CY-F 42-67047 "Lavenia"
P-38J CY-F "Lavenia"
P-51D CY-F 44-15025 "Beautiful Lavenia"

Mission History

Completed 2 Tours of Duty

Mission List

Not Known

Air Scores
Ground Scores
Score Detail 03 November 1943  (2)Me-109 destroyed (air) E/Wilhelmshaven
10 February 1944  (2)Me-210 destroyed (air) NW Brunswick
10 February 1944  Me-110 damaged (air) NW Brunswick
22 April 1944  Me-109 destroyed (air) W/Hamm
22 April 1944  Me-109 damaged (air) W/Hamm
27 February 1945  (.5)Ju-88 destroyed (air) Nurnburg
Notes From Sacramento, California
ASN - O-740142
15 March 1943 - Joined the 343rd Fighter Squadron
December 1943 - Awarded the Air Medal
December 1943 - Awarded 2 Oak Leaf Clusters
December 1943 - Promoted from 2nd Lieutenant to 1st Lieutenant
March 1944 - Promoted from 1st Lieutenant to Captain
15 September 1944 - Awarded an Oak Leaf Cluster to the Distinguished Flying Cross (see citation below)
October 1944 - Awarded an Oak Leaf Cluster to the Distinguished Flying Cross
February 1945 - Awarded 6th Oak Leaf Cluster to the Air Medal
April 1945 - Completed second tour of duty
Ground Crew - Cpl. G.J. Goff &  Sgt. K. G. Liebhold. (Opens in new window. Close window to return to this page).
Memories Citation on award of an Oak Leaf Cluster to the Distinguished Flying Cross:
"For extraordinary achievement in aerial flight 10 February 1944 while leading a flight on a bomber escort mission to Brunswick, Germany.  Seeing a straggling B-17 under attack by 3 enemy aircraft, he took his flight down to protect the bomber and destroyed  one of the enemy.  Alone, after this encounter, Capt. Buttke was attacked by ME 210's one of which he destroyed.  One of his engines was shot out when 7 more enemy aircraft attacked him and Capt. Buttke feathered his engine and started to come home on the deck.  Crossing a field with damaged plane, his ship was struck by flak and further severely damaged, but Capt. Buttke persevered in staying with his plane, although one engine was out and his compass and trim tabs useless. Finally reaching England after flying for 20 minutes through a heavy rain storm, he managed to set his plane down  on a runway which was under construction, skilfully avoiding wires and obstacles.  His skill, courage, perseverance and devotion to duty reflect great credit upon himself and the Armed Forces of the United States".

Back to 343rd Fighter Squadron Pilots