1/Lt. John E. McKee

(Martha Ann McKee via Tim Piscitelli)

1/Lt. John E. McKee

338th FS - 16 May 1944 - 03 November 1944

Assigned Aircraft


Mission History

67 missions

Mission List
55th FG Mission # Date Target
177 07 July 1944 Bernburg
Air Scores
Ground Scores
Score Detail 07 July 1944  FW-190 destroyed (air) W/Bernburg
07 July 1944  Me-109 probable (air) W/Bernburg

29 June 1923 - Born in Chattanooga, TN
ASN - O-758028
16 May 1944 - Joined the 338th Fighter Squadron
29 June 1944 - Awarded the Air Medal
22 July 1944 - Awarded an Oak Leaf Cluster to the Air Medal
04 August 1944 - Promoted from 2nd Lieutenant to 1st Lieutenant
15 August 1944 - Awarded 2nd and 3rd Oak Leaf Clusters to the Air Medal
05 September 1944 - Awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross
21 October 1944 - Awarded 4th and 5th Oak Leaf Clusters to the Air Medal
03 November 1944 - Ended Tour of Duty and transferred to the 70th Replacement Depot
21 November 2011 - Passed away in Memphis, TN

Memories John McKee's Obituary in the 'Commercial Appeal' - Published 23 November 2011

'John Evans McKee, Jr. went to be with the Lord November 21, 2011 at the age of 88. He was born June 29, 1923 in Chattanooga, TN to Mr. & Mrs. John E. McKee. He was preceded in death by his daughter, Kay McKee Spear. He attended Messick High School and graduated from Milan High School in Milan, TN where he played football. After High School Mr. McKee joined the U.S. Air Force. In early 1944 he transferred to the 338 Fighter Squadron, 55 Fighter Group, 8th Air Force, Colchesten, England. He flew 67 combat missions in P-38 and P-51 Fighters including 6 combat missions during the first two days of the Normandy invasion. In the late summer of 1944, John and his squadron were selected to escort a large group of U.S. bombers to Russia from England. His unit flew 2/3 of the way as top cover and then returned to England while another group of fighters provided top cover to Russia. This was a 1600 mile flight. As World War II ended John was training a new unit for preparation for the invasion of Japan. During his combat tour he was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross, Air Medal, Five Oak Leaf Clusters and Eight Battle Stars. He was also in the Tennessee Air National Guard. He attended Southwestern University where he was a member of the Kappa Sigma Fraternity. In 1949 he graduated from Vanderbilt Law School where he was a member of the Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity and he loved the Commodores. He practiced law in Memphis for almost 60 years. His first association was with the law firm of Nelson, Norvell and Floyd. He retired from Lewis, McKee and Hall. He served on various committees for the Memphis and Shelby County Bar Association. He has been a member of Second Presbyterian Church since 1954 where he was active in every phase of the church life. He taught Sunday School, served as clerk of the session, deacon, elder, Elder Emeritus, president of the church corporation, he and his wife are long time members of the chapel class. He was a member of the American Bar Association, The Shelby County and Memphis Bar Association, Downtown Kiwanis Club, 32nd Degree Mason and Shriners and English Speaking Union. He was also a longtime member of the University Club. He enjoyed tutoring and serving on the youth guidance committee. He was a devoted Christian man who loved his church and family. Mr. McKee is survived by his devoted wife of 64 years, Martha Ann Osterloh McKee; son, John Evans McKee III (Billie); 3 grandchildren, Stacie Northcutt Denton (Bill Joe), Taylor McKee Waring (Jeff), Evans Brooke McKee. John and Martha enjoyed family, staying at Bed & Breakfasts where ever they travelled, bridge, dancing, their friends and all church activities.'

Additional Photos Lt. John E. McKee (Martha Ann McKee via Tim Piscitelli)

Lt. John E. McKee receiving an award from Col. Crowell (Martha Ann McKee via Tim Piscitelli)

Newspaper article on Lt. McKee (Martha Ann McKee via Tim Piscitelli)
Nb. Photos open in new windows.  Close windows to return to this page.

Back to 338th Fighter Squadron Pilots