Capt. Eugene S. Gregg Jr.

(Robert M. Littlefield)

Capt. Eugene S. Gregg Jr.

HdQts - 06 September 1944 - 14 October 1944
(attached to 338th FS for flying only)
338th - 14 October 1944 - 08 November 1944 (Prisoner of War)

Assigned Aircraft

P-51D 44-14026

Mission History

Not Known

Mission List
55th FG Mission # Date Target
233 13 September 1944 Merseberg
266 08 November 1944 Merseberg
Air Scores
Ground Scores
Score Detail 13 September 1944  (.5)Me-109 destroyed (air) Eisenach-Gotha
Notes Entered service from Price, Utah.
ASN - O-427722
06 September 1944 - Joined the 55th Fighter Group Headquarters
27 September 1944 - Promoted from 2nd Lieutenant to 1st Lieutenant
14 October 1944 - Assigned to the 338th Fighter Squadron
08 November 1944 - Prisoner of War
MACR No. 10437

2/Lt. John E. Kester reported: "Captain Gregg was leading Yellow section of Program Squadron returning from a bomber escort mission to Merseberg, Germany. I was Yellow 2, while Yellow 3 and 4 had aborted before reaching the target. We dropped down to 10,000 feet to get away from the high velocity head winds and were proceeding out with another flight from Program Squadron when it was decided that we would go down and strafe. We had been flying a heading of 310 degrees, and I judge we were approximately southwest of Hanover when we spotted a locomotive. My radio reception was inaudible, but I kept watching Captain Gregg, saw him drop his tanks and peel off. I followed some 3 to 400 yards behind. We circled and made a pass broadside at the locomotive. Captain Gregg's strikes caused it to gush steam, and I followed, firing and passing over without observing any ground fire. We climbed again to about 7,000 feet and continued on course. About this time I saw a thin white stream pouring from Captain Gregg's rear scoop. I called him and told him about it, and also that I could no longer receive. He wiggled his wings in reply, and we flew some time on a heading of 240 degrees, leading me to believe that he had called for a homing from 'Legacy' or 'Messenger'. After the coolant had all run out we continued on course for 10 minutes before Captain Gregg's engine caught fire. I flew out to the side to stay clear of his canopy, and S'ed to stay back with him. While I was weaving from left to right across him, Captain Gregg bailed out. His plane dove into a wood, exploded and set fire to the surrounding trees. Captain Gregg landed in the wood beside a road. I circled once, passing over the road, and saw the chute hanging on the trees. There were civilians on the road running toward where he landed, and nearby flak guns fired at me before I completed a second pass along the road. I do not know whether or not Captain Gregg was still in his chute. The flak forced me to leave the immediate area, so I returned to base. I cannot accurately ascertain the location of Captain Gregg's landing, but I know it to be near and east of Munster, Germany."

German J 2443 reported Capt. Gregg's capture the same day by a tank unit near Boenninghardt.

The 338th Squadron received word of Capt. Gregg's POW status, 31 March 1945.  He eventually was sent to Stalag Luft I.

Reproduced with kind permission of Mr. Robert M. Littlefield from the author's book Double Nickel - Double Trouble


Back to Headquarters Pilots

Back to 338th Fighter Squadron Pilots